Thursday, February 08, 2007

Explain a time where you wanted to fall off a cliff...

So the last two days, I've been interviewing for jobs. Why didn't anyone in college tell me about the HR questions that never end? "Tell me a time where you wanted to fall of a cliff and no one came to save you but your meanest coworker and they turned out to be your new friend? What was your next move? Did you tell the whole office about it?"

First of all, how many questions do they expect you to answer at a time? 25 with three anecdotes and four examples. Honestly, do they want you to have diarrhea of the mouth? I think they do. There I was in my power black suit that seemed more like a straightjacket, smiling constantly until my cheeks went numb. I felt like I was back in a wedding line with my eyes glazing over because of the flash. Only this time wasn't a flash of light, it was a flash of terror.

I'm nervous and tense and desperately trying to figure out the job description for the people in front of me. Did this one want impeccable interpersonal skills or a working knowledge of HTML. or inside and outside and upside down sales experience. I just can't remember! I also had to hurry up to the right office on the right floor, speak to the right receptionist about the right interviewer and sit there and wait and get more nervous. AND REPEAT. AND REPEAT. AND REPEAT. I hope my sweaty palms will get me somewhere great...cross your fingers!!

2 comments:

Logan said...

Oh man, I'm so not looking forward to the sweaty palms. Or the cliff questions. I feel for you because I'll have to go through all that in another few months. Ugh.

andi said...

Hi Angie!

I just did all of that, too and it's a beating!! I had one interview that lasted 2 and a half hours. Seriously. Talk about draining! And why can't we wear sweatpants to interviews? They really should see how we are when we are relaxed and not wearing heels!