So a friend of mine holds a very important role at the American Airlines Center and recently arranged a special night at the AAC for my friends and I on Monday night. (the day after my birthday...I don't want to name names...I don't reveal my sources all the time!)
Anyway, we were able to go out on the Dallas Stars ice and attempt to play a little hockey with modified equipment (little soccer balls, broom sticks and no skates). I have never been a big hockey fan but still competitive as always, I went all out. I nearly scored twice but was not very coordinated on a half inch of ice without skates.
I laughed that I would probably fall about 10 times, but I managed to graciously fall 12 times. I have the scrapes and bruises to prove it. I threw myself up against the wall to check out the experience Mike Modano or any of the other Stars have, and surprisingly it didn't hurt. I also decided on the ice that I wish I was an ice skater. That would be pretty rad.
We took pictures of course and enjoyed the night until we were told we were going on some pretty awesome tours....
Being a huge Mavs fan, it was pretty dang sweet. We went into the Mavs locker room, training room, TV lounge, practice facility and tons more. Oh by the way, we couldn't really touch anything. But just for the record, Dirk wears 3XL pants. They were as long as my Asian friend was tall. Just ask to see my phone, and I can show you all my adventures. My digital camera wouldn't work :( just when I needed it most.
We also went to the Dallas Stars locker room. Honestly, it was nasty smelling in there. But of course that was the "wet room" part of the locker room where they come right off the ice. I guess it's understandable. I was glistening after the whole hockey experience too. Their "dry room" was much better smelling, and I nearly took a piece of gum from their stash.
We went into the dressing room that is used for all the performers that play there. Our tour guide said they spent $20,000 decorating it for Barbara Streisand a few years ago and imported her furniture there too. Must be nice to be a huge star. I heard all the figures about how to run the AAC and it made my head spin. Glad that's not my job. We also went into a few of the most expensive suites in the venue. They were pretty cool, but I liked actually being on the ice better MINUS the falling of course.
To say the least, it was one of the most awesome experiences I've had in a long time. I can say from my war wounds how tough it is to be a hockey player, but I have to say the perks are also pretty awesome too!
P.S. My friends wanted to stow away in the Mavs locker room, but I told I wasn't in because well.... I pretty much can't bend my knees. If I'm limping at some games this week, don't think it's my birthday that is making me look old.
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh what a night. We should go skating when we are down there, Andrew can show you his made skills.
Post a Comment